Magnetic Knife Holder

In the last year, I received some excellent cooking knives as a gift. Ones that will hold an edge if properly stored.

Now, proper storage does not mean in a drawer with a bunch of other knives. All that knocking about quickly destroys the edge.

Nor does “proper storage” mean in a wood block with slots. It collects moisture and food bits in the dark crevices, creating an ideal breeding ground for all kinds of nasties.

Knives should be stored such that their blades never knock about while also being completely visible.

A magnetic knife holder will serve the purpose quite nicely. Poking about Amazon, I found the MIU France Stainless Steel Magnetic Knife Holder. Beyond the striking design, it is quite well made with a rounded lip around the edge that the knives rest against, thus reducing the potential for trapping liquids between magnet and blade.

One last tip: Never put good knives in the dishwasher as it will rapidly degrade the blades. I have knives (that I don’t care about — but will start doing so now that I can store them properly along with my good knives) that have been in/out of the dishwasher for more than 5 years. Might as well try cutting with a random piece of sheet metal.

And it is one hell of a lot better / safer than balancing the damned knives on top of a cockeyed spice rack (now gone) as I had been doing for the past few months.

10 Responses to “Magnetic Knife Holder”

1. ssp says:

It’s a bit simpler but they have a nice and strong magnetic knife holder at Ikea as well.

The worst thing about those is that once you get used to them you start sticking everything you can on there and will soon want a second one because it’s just so convenient.

2. alwin says:

Good tips, and a pointer at an excellent product. I’ve had that model on the wall behind the stove for awhile now. It’s sturdy, looks cool, and hold the biggest of knives (my 12″ chef’s knife) with ease.

3. Kool says:

These things may be an optimal solution to you for storing knifes but beware where you hang it in your kitchen. I’ve experienced close encounters between knifes on the magnetic strip and my toes. Make sure no-one can run into the rack in anyway and that something is beneath it to catch any falling knifes. Ours was located on a wall and when I accidentally touched a knife with my shoulder the knife came sailing down. Thank God for my adequate reflexes! Just wanted to warn you to hang it on some place where the knifes can’t fall onto the ground. Especially if there is the possibility of children running around!

4. shuna fish lydon says:

Hello. I saw your comment on Slashfood and I just sent your URL to Sam of Becks & Posh. She has the most Bay Area informed blogroll of us all. Also to Fatemeh of Gastronomie because she created the invite for th picnic.

It would be great if we could somehow know your name and email address, that way you will be included in future Bay Area food bloggers events.

5. bbum’s weblog-o-mat » Blog Archive » Amazon’s Cardboard Conspiracy says:

[…] I recently ordered a magnetic knife holder from Amazon. It kicks butt. […]

6. Carol says:

I can’t figure how to hang the Mui on the wall with the screws that came with it. Can anyone help me with a suggestion?

Sure.

You need to pop the little black plastic inserts out of the ends of the holder. Underneath will be screw-tabs used to screw the thing to the wall.

8. knife guy says:

yes, thanks for the good info. even some ‘serious’ cooks i know store their knives in drawers!

9. Judy Harmelink says:

I am looking for knife storage for a sailboat are these magnet strong enough to hold under normal sailing conditions?

Yes. The magnet is quite strong. And you could always hang two, one above the other, to make it even more secure.