A Smoked Turkey With An IP Address…

After going through the effort of harvesting a Turkey for the first time, I wasn’t going to just throw the damned thing in an oven!

Oh, no. While harvesting the bird, I gave it a name. “Smoky”. Why? Because that was exactly what I was planning on serving for thanksgiving dinner; smoked turkey cooked by way of the Big Green Egg.

Wired Egg Cooking a Turkey

Now, I have smoked a turkey before and it was delicious. I wanted to do better.

So, I started by brining the bird overnight using Alton Brown’s Honey Smoked Turkey Brine.

Once brined, I oiled the bird and placed it atop a Foster’s oil can beer that had its top cut off, 1/3rd of the beer removed, and garlic/onions/hot peppers thrown in.

This was placed in an aluminum tray (to catch the juices for gravy making purposes) and the entire thing was placed into the Big Green Egg that was preheated to exactly 220 degrees.

Exactly? Yes. Exactly. You might notice a few wires in that photo. That is because I recently purchased a Stoker BBQ controller. It included 3 food probes, a cooking grid probe, fan, and computer controller that can be programmed to maintain a particular temperature within the Egg.

The device is amazing. I used it earlier in the week to do a 17 hour cook of a pork leg. The Stoker maintained temperature within a few degrees of 210 for all 17 hours without a problem. Awesome.

The best part is that the Stoker will happily grab an IP address via DHCP if you plug an ethernet cable between it and your home net. You can subsequently control target temperatures, high/low alarms, food alarms and other parameters remotely. Full review in a future post. Cool device.

So, armed with a fully wired turkey in an equally wired egg, I cooked the turkey starting at about 200 degrees (ramped down from the initial 220 quickly) to 400 degrees from about 9am until 4pm. I used lump charcoal and big chunks of maple wood that had been soaked in red wine as fuel and smoke source.

Smoked Turkey from the BGE

Throughout the cook, I glazed the bird with a mixture of honey, dried peppers, finely ground coffee, fresh pears, fresh apples, fresh oranges, salt pepper, and dried rosemary. This mixture was puréed until it produced a thick goop at which point it was brushed onto the turkey several times throughout the cook.

Damn. The end product was nothing short of amazing. Juicy to the core. Smokey throughout. Breast meat like steaks. Just plain awesome. Thankfully, it was a 26 pound bird to start with so I have lots of leftovers.

Some of the leftovers were used by my mom to make amazing smoked turkey soup. Recipe captured and to be posted shortly. The rest will be used to make smoked turkey jerky.

23 Responses to “A Smoked Turkey With An IP Address…”

1. ssp says:

I’m generally not a big fan of turkey but this might just change my mind. Looks and sounds really good!

2. Blake Seely says:

Leftovers? Maybe you should bring some to work…

3. William says:

That is totally awesome. I’ve only smoked chickens in my little electric smoker, but I’ve had home smoked turkey before and it’s delicious.

Oh, and kudos on harvesting the bird yourself. That’s an awesome post all it’s own.

4. Pierres Service » Blog Archive » A Smoked Turkey With An IP Address… says:

5. James Duncan Davidson says:

One word: WOW.

6. Amie says:

You have taken cooking to a new level of geekery. I am beyond impressed. Could you email me some leftovers, m’dear?

We go the other extreme and roasted our 24 lb bird at a very high temp (500 degrees) for a much shorter period of time (3.5 hours) with whole fork-pricked lemons shoved into the core. I am darn tempted to try your version next year. The goop alone sounds amazing!

7. Daily Clerks says:

[…] The best part is that the Stoker will happily grab an IP address via DHCP if you plug an ethernet cable between it and your home net. You can subsequently control target temperatures, high/low alarms, food alarms and other parameters remotely.” – Link. […]

8. bbum’s weblog-o-mat » Blog Archive » Slow Cooked Boston Butt (Pulled Pork) says:

[…] As I had previously mentioned, I picked up a Stoker BBQ Controller from Rock’s BBQ. […]

9. Dan says:

BE VERY LEARY OF ORDERING FROM ROCKS BBQ STOKER…..!!!!!!

I am almost certain that Rock’s is going out of business. I, like many of you, have read about this product and was extremely excited about it. I run a business that has four large mobile smokers attached to trailers and they are going all the time. I had BBQ GURU but would love the ability to see all my smokers temps and conditions from one central point. I could actually call and tell one of my operators to do such and such. I was itching to buy four but i thought I better see if the company and product was any good. So, last friday (11-2-2007) one of my GURUS went out. That Saturday Night I paid for a stoker online with a 25CFU blower and by Monday Night I thought it was strange there was no confirmation so I called…. and called, and called all Tuesday, and left email, and called 4 times Wednesday. By Thursday I was up to 14 or so emails and about as many calls. There was even a period of busy signals.

The Fax number online is “disconnected” and at about 5:54 ET I got an answer. He said he had a computer crash, leaving me to worry about how a computer geek would let one computer shut his operation down for a week and manage to build a device so revolutionary. I told him that was what the phone was for and all he seemed interested in doing was getting me off of the phone. He said he does not confirm anything until it is shipped and PROMISED me he would call me in three hours. Five hours later and there was no call and NO ANSWER the other 5 or so times I called.

Rocks is in violation of California Law buy taking my order but not confirming it via email or contacting me when I have placed so many calls. TOO bad. I don’t particularly like the GURU (I have bought 6, two wore out) and I should I have been treated with common professionality I would have bought another 4 by the time spring got here. I am also the type of guy to buy extras in case this guy goes out of business. But not now. The only reason someone would let CPU shut down their business, get their fax number disconnected and not return calls to a customer waiting for a simple confirmation would be he is going out of business. I would be very wary of buying into his product unless you have the money to lose. I see that in alot of cases the company was helpful as far as support… but lately more than a few bloggers mad about the way the order went down… no confirmation, tracking etc.

Dan

10. erik says:

Dan is correct – it was a pain communicating with that guy. I did get the stoker eventually. And I love it.

But yeah – no confirmation, no communication – had to call him, leave messages, etc….

11. Dale says:

I actually drove out to their place to pick mine up on a Saturday. I got him on the phone each time I called, and he said he’d hook me up on a day they’re normally closed. Granted, it’s not the Home Expo showroom, but we chatted for a good hour and I learned quite a bit. Every time I’ve used the BGE and the Stoker since then (about a dozen times), it’s been a complete success because of his advice. Apparently, they sold about 500 units the first year and doing quite well. It’s too bad you had that kind of experience, because I kind of like their down-home local business feel.

My experience matches that of Dale’s; I got great support when I blew up some probes and had some excellent conversations that went above and beyond “good customer service”.

I’m leaving the posts as is because that is the way I roll…

13. David says:

I’d like to know more about the glaze you used. The fruit I understand, but coffee?? Peppers?? What taste did those impart? What ratios did you use? I’ve got the egg, the stoker, and have successfully done a big 24 pound turkey with herb brine and rub, but am thinking of trying a honey based glaze for Christmas. Anyone who can help, please drop me an email at public+bge at peapod net

A deliciously smokey-sweet, slightly chocolaty (coffee), flavor. Hot pepper in relatively low doses tends to bring out flavors more so than actually impart heat. Ratios? Mmm…. enough to add flavor, but not so much as to make it gritty.

15. ccjeep says:

When using the Stoker on the BGE, how do you set the Daisy Wheel. Wide open?

Just the opposite! The daisy wheel is usually just barely cracked or fully closed.

17. ccjeep says:

Thanks, just trying to get a handle on it.

18. Jacob Angel says:

You have, without doubt, brought smoking to unheard of heights of geekery … turkey with an IP address? Unbelievable.

I love the idea of a “goopy” glaze … I’d never thought of that. Pears, apples – it sounds marvellous. Any glaze I’d previously used seemed to just run straight off into the fire, but this would cling very nicely.

Time to order a turkey for the weekend … thanks for the recipe.

19. Al@applesaucerecipe says:

Love the use of your apple puree as a glaze! I have done a similar exercise useing freshly made apple sauce and large cuts of pork. Same idea . . . a thicker glaze sticks to the meat longer and holds moisture in as well as creates a thick sweet glaze! Nice work.

20. Passionate about food says:

I can’t stand Turkey.

It is usually so big that by the time the inside is cooked, the outside meat is dry.

But I have had some success smoking other meats and have now taken ownership of a Weber S450 gas grill/rotisserie/smoker combo. Your turkey does look amazing ….. I am tempted to try even though to date I haven’t really been converted over, but I did have a superior tasting premium turkey last Christmas dinner.

I am a bit of a computer geek, but my wife would kill me if I went out and bought that gear … so I will need to make do. Buying the Kelly Bronze Turkey will be the only concession that she will give me as all others we have tasted have been extremely bland in comparison.

Question to all you experienced smokers? Do you see a superior finished smoked product if you start with better quality meats. … or does smoking level the playing field between cheaper and premium produce to the extent that it isn’t worth spending a big premium on best quality meats?

21. Justin Watt says:

This is truly awesome. If only I had a backyard.

p.s. Enjoyed skimming your blog, just subscribed.

22. bmacpiper says:

Hey there bbum,
    Have been enjoying my BGE for a year or so now, and what a total blast. I have friends here on the island who grow range/organic chickens, and they are unbelievable on the egg. One of them also did turkeys for Thanksgiving, so I have one in the freezer and will cook it up for Christmas guests instead. Naturally I thought of this particular entry, and hoped you might point me to some info on the brine, glaze, etc. I am considering a stoker, but not sure if it’s totally necessary for this particular project. I imagine I’d use it often anyway?

I have made lots of smoked salmon in my day, and understand the need for brine there. But what is the purpose of brining a turkey when you’re about to cook it?

Thanks as always, and talk soon.
    bmc

23. Roland says:

The guy behind this who Stole your money is Russ Pulfer

He rips off gun buyers for guns too