Tequila Obtained!

Tequila Brought Back From Mexico

I’m back from a tour of nine tequila distilleries in Mexico. I have a boatload of pictures and notes, much of which I’ll post over the coming days.

Pictured above is the tequila and tequila related products that I brought back. From right to left:

• Empty oak barrel with a generic label and a heavy char on the inside. Will be used for aging my own tequila.
  • Bottle of Arette Reposado with Arette shot glasses and lime/salt holder.
  • Bottle of Rey Sol. Absolutely amazing aged tequila. Sublimely delicious.
  • Two bottles of Herradura Antiguo Reposado. Perhaps the best lowland reposado made.
  • Two bottles of Tapatio Anejo. This is El Tesoro’s mexican-only product. Great anejo.
  • A bottle of a Tapatio / El Tesoro product that has not been named, does not have a product specific label, and isn’t on the market yet. Amazing product– we had the honor of tasting it with Carlos and Lilianna .
  • A 1994 bottle of Pura Sangre Anejo that we found in a liquor store in Guadalajara. Got it cheap.
  • An Arette flask full of Arette Anejo.
  • A sampler pack of Partida Blanco, Reposado, and Anejo.
  • A personalized barrel like the other within which I will be aging Tequila.

Next time, I’ll take a larger set of luggage. I passed up a lot of good deals.

Nope — didn’t pay duty. I took the recommended approach of declaring everything quite honestly, targeting around 4 liters of tequila per bag, and being polite on the way through customs. Didn’t look twice at the amount of tequila and were far more interested in my barrels (though not even that was terribly interesting).

The import duties are really aimed at busting people carrying stuff through for distribution. Someone bringing back a couple of gifts and a handful of obviously different stuff to add to a collection isn’t the targeted group.

Ugh. I brought home more than Tequila. Feels like a rabid weasel is trying to crawl through my stomach. I’m having an Alien moment today. Ouch. Now I have a 100.5 fever. Bath time — and you know I’m sick when I sit in the tub for a while.

9 Responses to “Tequila Obtained!”

1. ssp says:

This just looks and sounds fantastic!

After some early college binges I never liked Tequila because the stuff tasted gross… until a Mexican guest brought some of the real stuff as a present which was delicious. Looks like you got plenty of that now 🙂

2. Jim Puls says:

I can relate to your not paying duty, even on that much liquor. I once came back from the Caribbean with about that much assorted rum, and the customs agent in Miami told me to enjoy it and waved me through.

Jim — very interesting! So, apparently, some states are much more strict about this stuff than others. California (and, now, Florida) seem to rank up their with states that are lenient, most likely because there are such huge volumes of imports through their ports of entry. Arizona, on the other hand, is apparently quite a bit more strict.

4. In-side » List o’ Links says:

[…] bbum’s weblog-o-mat » Blog Archive » Tequila Obtained! Nice list of tequilas from bbum’s Mexico trip […]

5. bbum’s weblog-o-mat » Blog Archive » Cocktail: Muddled Mango Margarita says:

[…] add 2 to 4 ounces of good tequila (Herradura’s Blanco is an awesome choice — rested 40 days such that it is […]

6. David Herren says:

Looking at these gems and looking the availability here in Spain…. I’ve tried all the tequilas I’ve been able to find here, and of course Don Julian Reposado is decent (though very pricey here at the equivalent of $61.00/bottle). I recently encounter La Cofradia Reposado at $52.00/bottle and now that I’m on the second bottle, I think I like it. What do you know about La Cofradia?

7. Liquor and Drink says:

I have had the same experience with customs–ready to pay the duty, but never asked to. The most I brought back from Mexico was 11 bottles of Tequila and rum. I even called the Texas ABC (that was the point of entry) to make sure I could pay duty if necessary–that was a bureaucratic maze…

Enjoy the Rey Sol–that stuff is amazing.

8. Steve says:

Just found a bottle of the 1994 Pura Sangre Gran Reserve – I haven’t opened it yet and wanted to know how yours was. Did it get better with age?

A well sealed bottle of high proof alcohol will generally not age in the bottle. If it isn’t sealed — if it has exposure to air — it’ll change flavor over time and usually not for the better. Thus my need to drink the Pura Sangre!

It was delicious. Wonderfully rich añejo that was also delicately smooth. Total winner. I hope to find more someday. Guess I’ll have to head back to Mexico soon. 🙂