Security cameras?

Anyone have a suggestion for security cameras that:

– can be outdoors?

– can shoot clear video in both daylight and night conditions (IR illumination, most likely)?

– can send the video wireless for capture on a central device, preferably a computer?

Some combination? Suggestions?

My ideal camera would be one that had IR illumination and spewed an h.264 stream over 802.11 that I could archive off on a Mac for later review.

7 Responses to “Security cameras?”

1. jake says:

You could always try and get hold of one of these (BBC News)

2. scott says:

Panasonic makes an indoor/outdoor camera that is not bad. but I dont think it has IF.

another option is Lorex’s Network Camera Kit which includes a camera and a Video Server for Viewing and Recording Over Any PC

I’d love to have such a solution.. but our winters are too cold.

3. Rob says:

You might want to try one of the wireless cameras from trendnet – http://www.trendnet.com/products/f_internetcameras.htm They meet most of the requirements; they use Motion JPEG and MPEG-4 Video. They sell (heated) outdoor enclosures so you can use it in colder climates without much of a problem. I have one I use for monitoring the dog when we’re in different parts of the house. I use it strictly in real-time mode, but as I recall the software allows you to record when motion is detected.

4. n[ate]vw says:

I tried looking for about the same thing (though I would have preferred JPEGs at N-sec intervals to video), but I didn’t find much. I’m interested to see what others answer. Instead of my original camera system idea, I settled for Rokonet’s Wisdom wireless security system (eg, http://diycontrols.com/product_info.php?products_id=117). I’ve been pretty happy with it so far — somewhat hacker (and definitely tinkerer) friendly and yet seems to be pretty bona fide. Now the question is what percentage of the abundant crop of crooks in the area even care if they wake the neighbors…

5. Fish says:

sorry this is just a cut & paste from Linksys web site, but the list of features is fairly suited for some of the above comments

I don’t know if it ‘requires’ WMP, but I’d hope not. I despise WMP.

The Linksys Wireless-G Pan/Tilt/Zoom Video Camera sends live video through the Internet to a web browser anywhere in the world!
    The advanced MPEG-4 video compression produces a high-quality, high-framerate, up to 640×480 video stream. MPEG-4 encoding facilitates good video quality in varying bandwidth environments. WVC200 also supports MJPEG compression for video, providing good video quality at high bandwidth rates.
    The comprehensive video features include an IR filter cut which allow you to see the images in low or no light environments when an IR lamp is used. Snapshots (in JPEG format) of the image can be taken and saved.Snapshots can also be scheduled and sent to an FTP server.
    If you want the video to be visible from a remote location or from the Internet, you can open an appropriate port on the Router, and then create password protected accounts to manage access to the camera, or leave it wide open for the world to see. Support for Dynamic DNS lets you access your camera using an easy-to-remember “name”, even while using a dynamic IP address. The Pan/Tilt and digital zoom function allows you to remotely control the camera movement and focus, giving you maximum flexibility remotely. Up to 10 simultaneous users can have access to the camera at any point in time. Software is included for multiple camera monitoring and recording to your hard drive with advanced search by time and date. Recording can be set up to record by motion trigger, manual or schedule recording and playback on Windows Media Player without the need for a proprietary player.
    You can also turn on Security Mode, which tells the camera to send a message with a short video attached to up to three email addresses whenever it detects motion in its field of view. You can then log onto the live video stream if the situation warrants. Wireless security features include WEP and WPA.

6. eimee jiang says:

Till now, for this kind of security cameras that can be used indoor and outdoor,in day time and night time.

Except for the Panasinic, it is SONY and Sharp brands in large inquiry in the world.

Why not try to this ORSELET with his website http://www.orselet.com where you can find you wanted items with your idea.

7. Joan wang says:

Now so many security cameras is in the world,and we are specialized in IR waterproof cameras, zoom cameras with wireless remote controller etc.
    why not to try them, please have a view our website:www.orselet.com/en