My favorite pen

Keyboard

My favorite pen” seems to be a meme of some popularity amongst some of the weblogs I follow.

Pictured at left is my writing tool of choice.

A Core 2 Duo MacBook Pro from about a week after said systems were released. Used hard and constantly. That key wear? Normal given my utter reliance upon LaunchBar and propensity for switching apps/contexts with intent at heart.

I hate writing via scribbly things. If it involves more than 5 minutes of continuous writing, my hand cramps up and my writing becomes beyond illegible (as opposed to every other word vaguely readable).

This has long been the case. At the age of five, I told my parents that I didn’t need to write because I would have a machine that would do it for me. And, not terribly many years later, I did.

I don’t remember ever having written more than a paragraph or two out by hand with the sole [soul] exception being various romantically driven missives. Anything paper like from late elementary school on was typed.

Seriously. Handwriting. Hate it. Why the hell should I waste my time scribbling down words in a media that does not offer interactive editing capabilities and easy access? What a waste of time!

11 Responses to “My favorite pen”

I concur. I got my hands on a word processor in my sophomore year of high school, and that flipped the switch between absolutely hating to write, and writing for fun.

-jcr

2. psu says:

Pens are like darkroom work and black and white film photography for me. In most practical ways, digital photography is just more convenient, easier to use, and gives comparable results. But, there is a certain nostalgia for the tactile feel of darkroom work and darkroom prints that is hard for me to escape even if I know in my heart that I’ll never actually do it anymore.

I have the same thing with fountain pens. They are fun to think about and fun to think about using, but I never do.

Also, no one has yet made a computer that is any good at taking notes that require pictures. ‘Nuff said.

3. Pat says:

This has nothing to do with pens (which I’m personally fine with using – just feels more physical) but is in response to the photo: After my iBook keyboard got filthy after a few years of use, as soon as I bought my MacBook Pro, I also bought an iSkin cover – nicknamed the Keyboard Condom by my housemate.

Took a little bit of time to get used to, but only a little. Saves the keys from wear and tear.

4. Jeff Johnson says:

That’s funny, the left command key on my Core 2 Duo MacBook Pro looks *exactly* the same as yours.

5. Ken Anderson says:

I can’t even get through writing out 2 or 3 checks before I cramp up… I use TextEdit for jotting things down!

6. Amie says:

I must be an anachronism because my favourite pen is actually…a pen! Yes, I spend 18 hours a day in front of a computer screen, but I am still an analog list-maker (easier to doodle in the margins that way)

Amie — yeah, but your doodles look like stuff; are interesting and useful and convey something. My doodles look like the pen broke, leaking onto the page with odd little dams holding back the flood. Besides, you have seen my “handwriting”. Illegible is being nice.

psu — yeah — totally agree. However, my drawing “skills” are such that I’ll take Create or OmniGraffle over a doodle device any day.

8. kusmi says:

But you would not write a love-letter with your computer, or would you? 🙂

I have done so. Actually, I wrote my then girlfriend (now wife) a screensaver as a love letter….

10. Jayson says:

My boss once heckled me for waiting to open a text editor to take down a note rather than using the Post-its right in front of me. I told him that I could write it out by hand, scan it in to my Mac, run it through some OCR software, and then print it out on the laser printer, but it was just easier to wait for my text editor to open.

I can type much faster than I’m able to write by hand. For me, not only is typing quicker, and makes interactive editing so much easier, but there’s no worry that someone won’t be able to read your writing. Plus a single DVD takes up a lot less space than a full binder of notes. Though having several binders of notes at an office does look a lot more impressive…

11. Chris says:

Methinks you all will end up in the fetal position under your beds if you find yourself in the middle of an extended power outage once your laptop batteries run out of juice…