Rosemary Smoked, Garlic Infused, Leg of Lamb

Rosemary Smoked, Garlic Infused, Leg of Lamb with a Side of Mint Jelly & Sesame Roasted Aspargus

While in Missouri, My mom taught me a neat trick for stuffing garlic (or other chunky spices) deep into a piece of meat. We made a roast leg of lamb on Dad’s new Big Green Egg and it was delicious.

Upon my return home, I decided to recreate the magic, so to speak.

Pictured at left is the result. Rare, garlic infused, leg of lamb. Smoked over big chunks of rosemary wood, which is evident by the beautiful red smoky color of the end piece on the far left.

I paired it with a bit of mint jelly (of course!) and some baked aspargus that had been tossed with salt, pepper, and sesame oil.

Delicious. Click on through for pics/instructions on jamming the garlic yumminess into the meat.

Leg of Lamb Trimmed

First, you’ll need a nice sized leg of lamb (or leg of pork, etc). I started with about an 8 pound leg.

Trim almost all the fat off the outside; fat blocks smoke flavor uptake.

Garlic to Stuff in Leg of Lamb

Skin and slice a lot of garlic into fairly thin strips.

You’ll also need a clean pair of stainless steel needle nose pliers. Such a tool can easily be found at Radio Shack, Fry’s or Amazon. Again, make sure they are clean. You might want to boil ’em.

Stuffing Garlic into Leg of Lamb

Grab a chunk of garlic with the pliers and shove it into the meat. Or use the pliers to puncture the meat and open them to make a cavity, then fill with garlic.

I shoved about a full head’s worth of garlic into the meat.

Finally smoke the lamb until it has an internal temperature of about 135 to 140 degrees. Tent it and let it rest for a good 10 minutes.

6 Responses to “Rosemary Smoked, Garlic Infused, Leg of Lamb”

1. Charles says:

Lamb is not safe to eat rare. I really mean it. Really. I won’t give you the dirty details unless you ask, you probably don’t want to know.

2. Luke Burton says:

FDA’s “Critical Control Point” on food: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Critical_Control_Point

I think Bill is probably in the clear.

I was actually always told to never, never pierce the lamb with anything. Otherwise you let all the precious juices out.

Case in point, I once did a small leg without the aid of a thermometer. I pulled it out too early and cut off a slice and saw it was too pink for our liking. Back in the oven. It came out dry as a bone after that.

The effect will likely not be as bad with smaller pricks, but you are still letting the magic smoke out. Same reason why you don’t pierce sausages….

3. Charles says:

Well like I said, I don’t really want to get into the gruesome details, but my grandfather was a microbiologist and meat inspector for the USDA and he was quite firm on the point that lamb should not be served rare, and you should cook it to 155 or 160 degrees to be safe. Many people say you should serve lamb well done, but at that point, its hardly worth eating.
    Anyway, the risks aren’t huge, but enough that I don’t want to take any chances.

4. Chris says:

Have you retired your BGE? No new posts in a long time. You make some mouth-watering dishes on your Egg.

5. tecumseh says:

It’s ground beef that you really need to worry about

6. Dan_NZ says:

*Shakes head in amazement*. Lamb over there must be full of disease and of a lower standard than what we can get here in New Zealand. As a trained chef with many years experience in top Restaurants and Hotels, I know that you should NOT over cook lamb. It’s a waste of good meat if you do. It should be pink and juicy in the centre. If it’s grey or dry(well done by beef standards) then you’ve gone too far.
    Charles…microbiologist or not, your father (and yourself) is simply adding to the growing “PC’ness” and paranoia over meat products. Use common sense and remember the human constitution is far more robust than you can ever imagine and you’ll be fine.
    Ground beef is always a hit and miss affair. If you want the best, select the meat you want and have a butcher mince if in front of you. Or better still, do it yourself. If you’re on a budget and don’t trust supermarket meat, then don’t buy it. Simple. You do get what you pay for unfortunately.
    I eat Steak Tartare on a regular basis and have never been ill because I’m careful in my selection, handling and preparation of the meat. I’ve even ventured out and prepared Lamb Tartare and Venison Tartare. Both safe and both exquisite!
    Stay away from raw chicken, and make sure you cook pork correctly. You DON’T want Campylobacter or Listeria, trust me. Use common sense and safe food handling procedures and you minimize any risk. i.e. no cross-contamination (raw chicken with cooked foods or vice versa), always refrigerate your meats (don’t leave them out on the bench to warm up) and cook to a temperature that will kill bacteria in the appropriate meat.
    Cheers. D.