Gardening Season Begins

Roger Rescuing Ants While Watering the Garden

Or, I should say, Gardening season began in late January, but we are just getting around to starting our gardening in mid February.

Roger and I planted a bunch of fava beans in our community garden plot a couple of weeks ago. Some are destined to be harvested, but most are simply there to fix nitrogen and be turned into awesome mulch.

When gardening, I generally try to set up the garden such that I can flood irrigate. This lets me leave a hose or three running full blast in one area of the garden while I work / weed some other area.

One of our garden mates has this incredibly cool device to chop up fava bean plants and return them to the soil. It is, effectively, a lawn mower mounted in a rain barrel with a hole in the deck through which you feed the plant matter. Quite the frightening device.

Here Comes the Flood!

Of course, with flood irrigation, the numerous ant colonies within the garden do get a bit upset when their homes are periodically flooded. Roger likes rescuing the ants wherever possible, though some ants do appear to be able to walk on water.

This was a bit of dead plant matter left behind from last year’s gardening efforts. The ants seemed to use it as a bit of a watch tower. An ant or two would run to the top, have a look around, and then run back to tell their nest mates whatever bits of wisdom they had gleaned from above.

All photos taken with Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro Lens and an Canon MR-14EX Macro Ring Lite. Not that the ring flash was needed for the photo of Roger, it just happened to be on.

6 Responses to “Gardening Season Begins”

1. thegardeningsupply.com » Late breaking news says:

[…] <b>Gardening</b> Season Begins […]

2. Ben says:

That ant pic truly looks like a skeletal hand is clawing its way out of your garden!
    Yikes!

3. Amie says:

I can’t wait until we can finally start planting here; Abbey is making me nuts asking if it’s spring yet and if she can go plant sunflowers and carrots. Great to see that Roger is staying interested in gardening!

4. Myonlinegarden says:

You have really captured the ants environment, I’m getting the urge to get the camera out now.

Thanks

5. Spammity spam spam says:

Have you ever tried growing any vergetables hydroponically? or using aeroponics?
    These are great ways of growing, clean and efficient as they dont require soil, the roots of the plants just hang in air, and get misted with water jets (with all the nutrients they need added to this water). Plants grow so much faster, its unbeliveable!

6. Mathew says:

Living in the north east USA, it is hard to imagine a growing season that begins in January!