Crabtacular 5: Tequila Mockingcrab

Update: Photos of Crabtacular 5 are being tagged with ‘crabtacular5’ on Flickr. Thanks to Ash Ponders for uploading an awesome set o’ photos!

Christine & Bill serving Crabs & Tequila

We held our annual crab party yesterday and it was a total blast! Christine and I served all 200 pounds of dungeness crabs, 30 lbs of smoked pork, and our guests brought an amazing array of other yummy edibles and drinkables!

Thank you to everyone who could make it! It was incredible!

Guillermo Erickson Sauza shared a lot of his amazing Tequila Los Abuelos / Tequila Fortaleza. Certainly my favorite heartlands tequila. Distribution is relatively limited. If you are in the Cupertino area, you can purchase Los Abuelos / Fortaleza at Coach House Liquors.

Julio & Chuck Making Margaritas

Julio Bermejo made the awesome T-shirts and whipped up batch after batch of his famous margaritas. Visit Julio at Tommy’s Mexican Restaurant in San Francisco — world’s best tequila bar and an excellent Yucatan home style restaurant, too.

Lilianna, Julio’s wife and member of the Camarena family, shared her family’s El Tesoro de Don Felipe tequila. Made in Arandas, Jalisco, El Tesoro is easily my favorite highlands tequila. It is deliciously spicy and incredibly smooth.

Julio used Tequila Arette blanco to make the margaritas. An awesome tequila that can be found in most decent liquor stores.

Barrel Thief!

I also thiefed out a bit of tequila from my barrel. It is Pueblo Viejo Reposado that has been sitting in the barrel for 6 months.

It is surprisingly delicious; lots of caramely wood flavor with a bit of bite on the finish (due to the young age).

I’ll need to bottle it soon as it is “done”. Now that I have thiefed out about a liter of the 4.5 in the barrel, I might just refill the barrel and let it sit for a while longer.

Truly a legendary party.

14 Responses to “Crabtacular 5: Tequila Mockingcrab”

1. annbb says:

I am through shouting now. Our first crabtacular and we’ll be there next year! Brother Bill, Sis-I-L Chrissy and our Dodgie – thank you for a lovely lovely vaca. We had the BEST BEST time!

2. Dan says:

Damn! That looks awesome! The 200 hundred pounds of crab I heard stories of would be wonderful. Crab and tequila, a great combination.

3. Luke Burton says:

This was an epic party and I feel honored to have imbibed tequila with so many other cool people in the Bumgarner Eichler.

My head didn’t hurt the next day as much as I thought it would, even though I don’t really remember what happened towards the end. This truly indicates the quality of the event.

Bill & Christine, you did a fantastic job. Although I don’t envy the cleanup ….

4. Daniel Jalkut says:

Sounds pretty amazing. Sad again to have missed it. The distance – it hurts.

5. Chris Walters says:

Awesome. I thouht of little else this weekend and even flirted with the notion of driving to the airport. Hopefully next time I’ll be in the right place at the right time!

6. BWJones says:

Looks like a legendary party. If it is held next year, I’ll have to fly into town for it just to takes pictures of 200 lbs of crab.

P.S. I hope you took up a collection to pay for all the crab and tequila.

Great party, great food, great company.

Also, kudos for the tarp engineering.

8. Amie says:

You need to stop having parties like this or we’re going to have to pack up and move out west (again). I can’t stand missing these opportunites to eat myself into oblivion. I am ravenous just thinking about it!

9. Adam says:

Nice job, bbum. Your crab party ruined it for everyone.

10. Andy Lee says:

Adam, you beat me to it! I *just* made the connection and rushed over here to comment.

11. K says:

Best party yet. Even if we did get busted. 😉

12. Jeffrey J Hoover says:

Bill & Crissy- We had a lovely time at the Crabtalular! We had to leave around dusk to make it home, but while we were there we had lots of yummy foodz and drinkz.

Lovely to find that pocket of Eichlers too, a little slice of home in san jose.

13. San Francisco – Jonesblog says:

[…] Bill”, “what’s up dude”, “nice tequila party man”, “legendary crabtacular man”, “when does the code ship” and on and on. I asked him if he knew everyone to […]

14. Crabtacular V: The Ãœber-Party | [self blog]; says:

[…] Ãœber-party, Crabtacular V, came and went. What an awesome party! I feel honored to have been invited to hang out with Bill […]