All On One Grill: Cheeseburgers & Grilled Whole Potatoes

Cheeseburger with Roast Garlic and Grilled Potato

When grilling food, I like to try and prepare as much of the cooked foods for a meal on the grill, if possible. It is generally a matter of timing and layering.

At left is tonight’s meal. Cheeseburgers with roasted garlic and a side of grilled hole potatoes.

Easy enough to do on a kettle grill or BGE — simply wrap the potatoes in foil, drop them in the coals about 20 minutes before doing the burger. Garlic goes on about 5 to 10 minutes before, depending on how hot the fire is. Done.

In this case, the challenge was to do it on the Cobb — a rather tiny grill at only 10″ in diameter.

Cobb Loaded with Potatoes

When lighting the fire, I placed a bunch of potatoes in the moat around the firebox. Not having done this before, I wrapped some in foil and left others naked.

I left the Cobb open air for about 30 minutes while the coals got good and hot and to let the potatoes cook for a bit. At that point, I dropped the cooking grid on the top and loaded it with one garlic head in the middle, covered it and let the Cobb sit until it thermally stabilize.

Cobb Loaded with 4 Burgers, 2 Garlic Heads, and 6 Potatoes

After about 10 minutes, I dropped on 4 1/2lbs burgers (Paicine’s Ranch grass-fed beef), put the lid on and let it sit for 10 minutes.

At the 10 minute mark, I flipped the burgers and let them sit for another 10 minutes.

One last flip and a couple of the burgers were anointed with some thick slices of swiss cheese.

After 5 minutes, I pulled the burgers, garlic and potatoes.

End result?

The burgers were a perfect medium / medium rare. Next time, I’ll go 8 minutes/side before cheesing as I like my burgers a little more rare, but no complaints. Juicy and delicious.

The garlic head that had been on the longest was the best. Pull off a clove and it squeezes out like toothpaste. Thick, smoky, garlic toothpaste. Yum. The other head was also delicious, but not as a topping– better as a snack.

The potatoes were awesome, too. Next time, I’ll skip the foil as it isn’t necessary. The unwrapped potatoes were steeped in the drippings from the meat and garlic, yielding a crispy skin that was rich in flavor.

Altogether a delicious meal. And I have to admit a bit of amazement at the Cobb. I was expected a grill that made significant sacrifices in the quality of the cooking experience to yield a portable and versatile grill.

Not so. The thing is dead simple to use. The only temperature control is the number of bits of charcoal you put in at the beginning. Beyond that, it is pretty much just a matter of planning the cook around the cooking times of the various ingredients’ cooking times with a goal of opening the Cobb the minimum number of times.

As the Cobb is more like a charcoal fired convection oven than a traditional grill, opening the lid loses heat rapidly. But this also means that food cooks evenly and at a constant rate — no worries about meat suddenly transitioning from done to overdone in seconds. The Cobb is as relaxing to cook on as the Big Green Egg; put the food in, configure for appropriate temperature, and wait patiently with beer in hand.

For the above meal?

Seven pieces of Kingsford charcoal. Since the Cobb produces almost no smoke — the design prevents any drippings from falling on the coals (no flare ups. ever.) — using an efficient, high quality, charcoal seems to be the way to go. I’ll give it a spin with hardwood charcoal.

And, yes, the bottom and sides of the Cobb stay cool to the touch throughout the cook. Only the dome becomes hot to to the touch.

All of that, and the damned thing is dishwasher safe, too.

16 Responses to “All On One Grill: Cheeseburgers & Grilled Whole Potatoes”

1. Steven Fisher says:

Looking at the pre-cooked burgers, I was thinking there’s no way you’d get those to well done on a small grill: Too thick. But since you like them medium/medium-rare, it worked out for you.

I love rare steaks, but I’ve been conditioned by the media over the last decades to be afraid of rare burgers.

It could easily produce well done burgers of such size. Just a matter of time and starting with a couple more coals.

It is sad the tact the FDA is taking. Instead of fixing the problem at the source, they are addressing symptoms through cooking practices that leave the meats dry, flavorless, and overdone.

This beef was sourced from a small local ranch, the cattle had never lived on a concrete pad, never had to sleep in their own shit, never had antibiotics or growth hormones (as their environment didn’t require it for survival), never been intermingled with dozens of other cattle populations, and was slaughtered cleanly in a small fabrication house.

End result? Beef free of the diseases unique to industrialized beef production — diseases borne out of raising cattle in decidedly un-cattle like environments.

3. Steven Fisher says:

I really need to find a local meat supplier I can trust. The supermarket doesn’t cut it.

I’ve made it a point to take media reports of dire hazards with about half of a standard salt lick. The fact is, millions of people eat rare meat every day, and the chances of any of us dying from e coli are far less than getting taken out by a drunk driver on our way to the grocery store.

5. Steven Fisher says:

I’ve tried to do the same, but at some point over the years it’s leaked into my subconscious and I’ve started to take it seriously. The lowest common denominator usually wins eventually.

6. Amie says:

I have to admit—this post, your review, and the Cobb site have me intrigued. I may have to pick one up and give it a go!

We’re pretty lucky to have a decent local source of pasture-fed beef. My only problem with them is that they still insist on grain feeding as well. Maybe I ought to hand the owner a copy of The Omnivore’s Dilemma the next time I stock up.

How much grain? If it is a supplement in the winter months, then no big deal… if it is in substitution for grass fed during peak growing months, bad news!

8. Papa Joe says:

we got a few hundred cattle next to us(a mile or so). they graze contentedly almost everyday. the birds r with them also picking morsels from their poop.
    moral: don’t eat the birds.

9. Papa Joe says:

update on my attempt at slow cooking pork shoulder.
    prepped it with some garlic oil as there was little fat around outside. then rubbed it with mis ox Paula Deen’s steak seasoning and salt & pepper. put the bbq on low and wrapped pork in foil to keep it moist. after 1/2 hour i went to check on it & of course, the gas tank was empty. plan B; pre-heated oven to 250 degrees and placed pork in for
    6 1/2 hours. cooled it for 45 minutes then tasted it. real good!! we took it with us on vacation to Daytona where we met with Mama Ann’s cousin and had pork for Sunday dinner. we all loved it. used mild BONE SUCKING SAUCE on pork and it just made it so much better tasting.

yes, i now have refilled gas tank.

10. Amie says:

I saw her at the farmer’s market the other day and she *says* the grain is winter only. And her herd is certified antibiotic/steroid free, so I am assuming that means they aren’t getting sick from eating too much of something they aren’t able to digest. Although given what I know about feedlot beef, just the fact that these cows are local and allowed outside to eat *any* amount of grass is a selling point.

11. red hot chili peppers says:

and i thought that i was a barbecue master… 🙂
    seriously, i really enjoyed this read. We try to grill as much we can of our food too. we actually have our grill ready all year long outside, and we live in Norway. 🙂
    Grilled homemade burgers is one of our favorites for sure.
    and thanks for an enjoyable post. 🙂

12. Bookmarks about Planning says:

[…] – bookmarked by 3 members originally found by OshunAvani on 2008-09-28 All On One Grill: Cheeseburgers & Grilled Whole Potatoes – […]

13. David says:

I’m going to have to try these too – and I really never thought to buy local and be able to trust that we won’t get sick from medium or medium-rare beef. Duh moment. I totally have a local cattle raiser and even better yet, organic. Thanks for the tips!

14. barbequelover says:

Awesome little grill. The whole garlic cooking in the pic made me hungry! I like to spice my burgers up a bit with some Sgt. Pepper’s El Chipotle Balsamic Blackberry Hot Sauce – yum!

15. Tjene penger says:

That meal looks delicious!
    What is that grill? Is it something new? It looks handy if you are going on a picnic or something like that. At home i will stick with my good old propane grill – the Broil King! 🙂
    Anyway, is there any place on the web where I can get one of those small grills?

16. Kim says:

YUM! I am hungry now! I love that little grill, it would make a fantastic father’s day gift. I’ll have to look it up. 🙂