AT&T Blocks 4chan?

It appears that AT&T has blocked a subset of sites that hang off of 4chan.org. As of 11:15PST, the block was lifted.

AT&T has released a statement:

Beginning Friday, an AT&T customer was impacted by a denial-of-service attack stemming from IP addresses connected to img.4chan.org. To prevent this attack from disrupting service for the impacted AT&T customer, and to prevent the attack from spreading to impact our other customers, AT&T temporarily blocked access to the IP addresses in question for our customers. This action was in no way related to the content at img.4chan.org; our focus was on protecting our customers from malicious traffic.

Overnight Sunday, after we determined the denial-of-service threat no longer existed, AT&T removed the block on the IP addresses in question. We will continue to monitor for denial-of-service activity and any malicious traffic to protect our customers.

OK — so AT&T was acting to protect quality of service to customers that may have been impacted by a DDoS attack. Fair enough, though I question the means a bit (and admit fully that I have been too long out of the ISP business to claim these questions are anything but me being ignorant).

Was img.4chan.org hacked and, thus, AT&T walled it off because it was the source of the DDoS attack? Not sure how the “distributed” part comes in to play when an attack is sourced from a relatively small set of machines (I’m assuming img.4chan.org is more than one machine).

The initial report on the nanog list implies that the 4chan server was the source of the attacks and, thus, blocking ensued. Sounds like the server was hacked. Or spoofed?

Bottom line, though, is why the heck did it take AT&T so long to actually issue a statement somewhere useful?

I’m still in the market for a new ISP, just not quite as proactively.

Thus, I’ll continue to keep this post updated with suggested ISPs that folks submit. Feel free to add one in the comments. If you do, I’ll add the link/info to the article and likely delete the comment.

(To be precise, I don’t care about my ability to reach 4chan. I do care very much about network neutrality. I remember the last time the big providers went against net neutrality in the early 90s. It sucked.)

The suggestions, in no particular order:

Raw Bandwidth Communications, Inc.
No fussiness.
Speakeasy
No stupid policies of what you can/cannot do (within reason). I have heard good things about Speakeasy, too.
Sonic.net
Lots of raves for sonic.net. Shell access, no problems, good customer support, etc…
Verizon’s FIOS
Heard several good things about FIOS. Unfortunately, not available here (but keeping it in the “suggestions” because the reviews are good, where available).

The rejection(s). Companies that do stupid things to traffic.

Comcast
Comcast screws with BitTorrent traffic. I use BT for a variety of quite legitimate reasons, including for my day job. Doesn’t matter how easy it is to workaround, such a policy is a non-starter for me. Also, Comcast’s rates make it slightly cheaper to buy internet w/cable service. I don’t want cable TV in the house.

9 Responses to “AT&T Blocks 4chan?”

1. Mark Miller says:

A vote for Verizon FIOS here. If you can get it in your area, I strongly recommend it. They offer insanely fast upload and download speeds and no obnoxious big brother service restrictions.

2. julian says:

I loved Verizon FiOS when I had it. Such a shame Silicon Valley misses out on it.

3. 4chan.org blocked by AT&T! | Wide Trends says:

[…] bbum's weblog-o-mat » Blog Archive » AT&T Blocks 4chan? […]

4. Ned Deily says:

FWIW, I’ve been a very satisfied DSL customer of Raw Bandwidth for several years. It is a small operation but their service has been extremely reliable for me (though I am fortunate to have a relatively short and apparently noise-free telco line to the CO) and Mike D is very responsive to issues and requests.

5. Michael Rawdon says:

I use Sonic.net myself, after hearing rave reviews about it from a friend 8 years ago. Their customer service is on-the-ball and recognize when they’re talking to someone technically savvy (me). I think they do a good job of badgering AT&T to fix problems with the actual connection to my house, too, when something goes wrong. Their prices are relatively steep compared to buying direct from the phone company, though.

I got to use Verizon FIOS when visiting family earlier this year. Despite a few rough edges, I was impressed with the speed of the service compared to my DSL experience, and the fact that their modem came with built-in wi-fi (maybe this is common today, it wasn’t when I got my DSL). My Mom seemed happy with them too, and since she’s non-technical (but happy to try things to get stuff working) that speaks well of them as well. I’d consider switching if it were available around here.

Comcast was running some amazingly stupid advertisements opposing FIOS when I was visiting, which made it seem like your house would have to be ripped apart (and shoddily put back together) to install FIOS. Considering my Mom lives in a pre-World-War-II house with a phone system that basically predates the ARPAnet and I didn’t see any evidence of such a production (they installed a new jack closer to where he computer actually is and that seemed to be it), the ads seemed out of touch with reality. Maybe Comcast is losing the war in that part of the country so they’re getting desperate.

6. Brian Willoughby says:

I have been using Northwest Nexus since before the web was invented. Technology has changed from analog modem to ISDN to DSL and others, but their reliability has remained constant. They were bought by Winstar before they crashed, and yet Northwest Nexus managed to survive. They even provided about 9 months of free service during the transition from Winstar back to independent operation. They currently have three OC12 connections, one to each of the major internet backbones providers. The backbone itself could partially fail and these guys would still keep you online with what remains accessible. Their rates are not rock bottom, but that can only be expected with such high reliability.

7. ace says:

And once again, it NEVER fails with the incessant lying, as lying is a way of life for these hacker creeps. I salute AT&T for blocking viruses, trojans and nasty spider scripts, as that is what the REAL truth is as to WHY AT&T has flashed the middle finger [blocked] to 4 Chan. Why should AT&T waste time and energy in dealing with viruses, trojans and uncontrollable script programs emanating from the 4 Chan site?

I don’t condone censorship and I certainly don’t condone lies “in the name of lulz”. The only thing 4 Chan has proven again and again, is that they are infantile and violent. A bunch of two year olds who go on tirades. And just like an out of control two year old, they need some REAL hard slaps from the school of hard knocks.

Any consequences or denial of internet access to AT&T customers due to NAZI actions emanating from 4 Chan [or any other hacker creeps for that matter], I pray that they are caught, rounded up, prosecuted beyond the extent of the law, thrown in a windowless cell and locked up forever until the day they die.

I commend AT&T for taking the step forward and I sincerely hope that other ISP’S follow suit ASAP. ENOUGH IS ENOUGH. Hackers cause destruction, chaos, waste everyones time and energy. Normal people on the net are SICK AND TIRED of these two year old tantrum antics that 4 Chan displays on a daily basis. These hacker creeps really and truly need to GROW THE F*** UP.

Ace–

You missed the point. Entirely.

(1) 4chan was not the attacker. 4chan’s server was attacked in a way that allowed it to be used to attack other sites. That is the reason why AT&T blocked it.

(2) If AT&T were to actually take action in the form of censoring 4chan, it would be marked in history as either the day Internet 2 was created or the day the Internet died (or both).

Given that your site is a multi-level marketing scam in the form of “cash gifting” (if anyone wants to find the site, search for “abundant living systems ace” in Google — I deleted the link for obvious reasons), it wouldn’t surprise me at all that it or sites like it had been the target of the 4chan goons.

If you are going to try and make a living on the fringe of legality with a web site like that, your gonna have to get some thicker skin.

And a clue– next time you start making random accusations, make sure that they are actually accurate.

9. bbum’s weblog-o-mat » Blog Archive » AT&T U-Verse: Configuring the 2Wire Modem says:

[…] that AT&T is not currently being terribly evil, I decided to go with their U-Verse service that just became available in our […]