Deco Fan: DO NOT BUY! SHOCK HAZARD!

Ow ow ow ow.

Do not buy this fan.

It can shock you.

Specifically, the metal toggle switch’s handle is spring loaded such that if you push on it like a push button, it will short out internally. Not only does it send a pretty spray of sparks out of the switch, it will also shock the crap out of you.


As suggested, I have reported the fan to the Consumer Product Safety Comission and will write-up whatever the followup experience may be.




5 Responses to “Deco Fan: DO NOT BUY! SHOCK HAZARD!”

  1. Ouch says:

    Be good to leave this info as feedback on the amazon site – they might have more traffic than friday.com 🙂
    Glad you’re OK!

  2. bbum says:

    Feedback left. I tried to find a complaint link at Amazon and failed.

  3. Mark Bessey says:

    Time to consider installing GFI outlets? They reduce the risk of shock in these sorts of events. Won’t save you if you’re touching both sides of the circuit, but they do detect current leaks to the housing of appliances very well.

  4. Jeffrey J Hoover says:

    Woohoo! Give us video! Post it to YouTube and watch the counter rise!

    Sorry you got hurt. 🙁

  5. frank says:

    When I was shocked by a small appliance, I contacted the Consumer Product Safety Commission via their website. They sent someone to our house to interview us, photograph the appliance, and perform a cursory inspection of it.

Leave a Reply

Line and paragraph breaks automatic.
XHTML allowed: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>