Fatblogging: I’m below 230! (Assist by The Scale That Tweets)

For the first time in umpteen years, I’m solidly below 230 lbs (I briefly dipped below 230 in 2007 or so, the last time).

I’m using the rather innovative and revolutionary diet of Eat Right and Exercise. Otherwise known as Consume Fewer Calories Than You Burn.

Namely, I’m biking to work every day it isn’t raining, cut out junk food, cut down on portions, and have focused on eating lots of veggies and fruits.

At right is my means of tracking weight, the Withings Wifi Body Scale.

The Withings scale is WiFi enabled. Thus, if you stand on the scale for about 5 seconds after your reading stabilizes, the scale will submit your weight to a central web site where a (rather bloated and slow) Flash app can be used to monitor your weight.

However, there is also a fairly nice iPhone app. The scale can also be configured to tweet your weight (my 174 lbs target is actually below what I’d consider success @ about 190), as well.

I also briefly used the Lose It! application. It is actually a very well designed, easy to use, application for tracking your caloric intake.

Beyond all the techno-goop, the Withings scale is simply very well engineered. It has a striking, minimal, design and feels quite solid. Setup was a breeze and use is quite intuitive. It can track multiple people’s weight and automatically identifies each user by their weight (though I have no idea how it would deal with two people who have similar weights).

9 Responses to “Fatblogging: I’m below 230! (Assist by The Scale That Tweets)”

1. ssp says:

I think I’ve read about such tweeting scales and the first question I asked myself is how you enter thirty characters of hexadecimal WPA key garbage into such a device without going insane.

As you say the setup was a breeze, it seems there is a way.

2. annbb says:

WOW! YOU GO, BRO!

I’m really proud of you!

3. annbb says:

Oh, and where do I pick up a copy of “Eat Right and Exercise”??? 😉

4. Ian says:

What drove you off of Lose It!

I’ve been using it for six weeks or so. It’s not “perfect,” but it has definitely helped. Back when I was single, I would simply lose weight by “not (or barely) eating dinner.” But now that I come home from work and someone else is there who wants to eat, it’s gotten harder, so I’ve gotten the Lose It religion.

Anyway, I was just wondering why you gave it up?

5. Dave says:

My wife has been using the Lose It app as a food journal. Regular exercise and using Lose It as a food journal has really helped her slim down. I’ve even lost enough weight to be in the “normal” BMI range because of it. Thumbs up for eating healthy!

6. Jay S says:

First, congratulations. I know how difficult it is to lose weight.

But also a word of caution. Calorie-restricted (aka semi-starvation) diets have a dismal track record for long term weight loss.

You might consider changing not how much you eat, but what you eat. Take a look at Good Calories Bad Calories. There’s a lot more to it than that, but this book is a good start.

Good luck.

7. Nutcase says:

Jay S, agreed, it is not only how moch you eat, but what you eat.

Cutting down on fructose might help.
    This guy convinced me…

-jsl

8. peterb says:

Congrats!

As you know, I’ve been using LoseIt! since December and am still having a lot of success. I hadn’t considered the WiFi scale thing – if I’m going to spend money on a scale, my instinct is that what I actually want is a more accurate one, like a good triple-beam scale. But then you have to calibrate it.

In terms of what I eat, I agree that veggie and fruit overload is the key. Finding a few snacks that are both yummy and yet healthy (for me, a big bowl of blueberries beats just about any junk food in the world) is essential. I still eat meat, but I think about it before I eat it, which is sort of the big mental change. I also find that for some reason I’m craving (and eating) seafood and fish all the time. Go figure.

9. John McLaughlin says:

Congrats — I have a withings scale also and love it so I understand your enthusiasm for it.

The other ‘gadget’ I’ve used to help is my fitbit (http://fitbit.com) — For a analytic it’s a great tool to help you track your activity.

-John