I tossed this together tonight and, though simple and fairly obvious, was just too good to not share.
Heirloom tomato season is upon us and I’ve been grabbing some beauties from my community garden plot.
A simple use that makes for a good all in one meal:
- Slice the tomato into 1/4″ thick rounds
- Place on lightly oiled (olive oil works best) cookie sheet or pizza pan
- Place a couple of fresh basil leaves on each
- Add a bit of meat. I used pulled pork (as I had made some earlier), but I’m betting ham or bacon would work exceptionally well, too. Chicken works quite nicely, as well.
- Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Good thick layer. Maybe grate a touch of parmesan in there, too
- Lightly pepper and add a touch of salt. I used porcini mushroom salt.
- Toss into a warmed pre-warmed oven at about 300 degrees.
- Wait a minute or so, then turn the oven over to Broil on high
- Wait until all the cheese is melted and starting to bubble/brown